[nycphp-talk] recommended introductory PHP text

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Thu Sep 9 13:00:33 EDT 2004

David Mintz wrote:
> This is good good good, gentlemen, keep it coming (-:

I make it a habit to purchase every book by the authors who are active
on this list.  It would seem that my next purchase will probably be
Chris Shifflet's security book when it hits.  Adam's "Upgrading to PHP
5" is in the mail.

Having over 15,000 hours on the floor teaching technical subjects,
assembler, operating systems, networking, and a few high-level languages
on the way, I normally would not recommend an O'Reilly book for
beginners -- read beginners.  The exception would be if the book is
accompanied by a clearly written student wookbook that roughly parallels
the text material.  It has to do with O'Reilly's style--and I'm talking
typography, overall format and busyness.  I would use David Sklar's
"Learning PHP 5" book along with a a student workbook, and I may write
my next course using it.

That said, there is a little known book for beginners that I would
recommend.  It's called "PHP by Example" and the author is Toby Butzon.
  It is published by Que.

John