[nycphp-talk] recommended introductory PHP text

David Sklar sklar at sklar.com
Thu Sep 9 15:38:42 EDT 2004

David Mintz wrote:

> As for ~Learning PHP5~, I think I'll head over to Computer Book Works and
> check it out, I haven't seen it. Is it suitable even if you expect people
> to be working primarily with PHP 4 for the time being? One wonders how
> long it will be before PHP 5 is widely used in production.

The only significant PHP 5-only things in the book are use of the
file_put_contents() function and SimpleXML. Other PHP 5 stuff that's
mentioned briefly or out of the main flow of the text includes E_STRICT,
  mysqli, the introduction to classes and objects, and glimpses of DOM,
SQLite, and the Perl extension.

The vast bulk of the book (basic language concepts, form processing,
database stuff, etc.) is PHP 4-or-5 agnostic.

David