[nycphp-talk] mathematical dilemma

James Wetterau james at surgam.net
Fri Sep 10 00:15:42 EDT 2004

Mitch Pirtle says:
> A novel approach, testing it out to see if it works...  ;-)

You don't have to offset all the scores.  Just take the lowest score
and use that as your offset for the first decile.  Just do this very
simple process:

Let's say the lowest score is -10, median score is 20, top of first
decile is -5.

Subtract your lowest score from your first decile.  You have an
adjusted first decile of 5 (-5 - -10).

Add your median and adjusted first decile together.  Now you
have 20 + 5 = 25.

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:13:12 -0400, inforequest
> <sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> > In order to win a beer I offer this quick response before thinking
> > through the details :-)
> >
> > Offset the scores befoe doing the math, by some constant that is more
> > than the expected abs(max score). the shift is neutral with respect to
> > your comparisons, and can be removed when you have your results.

James Wetterau, Jr.		jwjr at panix.com (h)   james at surgam.net  (w)

  Bush/Cheney '04: Don't switch horsemen mid-apocalypse!