[nycphp-talk] gmail

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sat Sep 11 15:02:17 EDT 2004

--- Susan Shemin <susan_shemin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is this gmail the list has been talking about and what are its
> benefits?

There was a discussion about Gmail last night with some guys from Google:

http://3gp.us/videos/20040911003347687.3gp

It gets a lot of attention right now because it's by invitation only, so
everyone who gets an account feels special. :-)

But, there are some technical merits that I think we can all learn from.
After last month's presentation on XUL, I think it is becoming clear that
Web development in the near future will involve fewer HTTP transactions
and more client-side logic. The client-side logic might be fancy DHTML
stuff, XUL, Flash (think Flickr), etc.

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/