[nycphp-talk] Releasing Code

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Sun Sep 26 01:08:58 EDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Daniel Convissor wrote:

Thanks everyone for the many replies. Instead of answering each one,
I'm going to roll up all my responses into one message.

1) The code is a little class that helps make it easy/easier to talk
   to eBay using SOAP. It mostly aggregates the PEAR::SOAP client, but
   it also does some SOAP header stuff for authentication.

2) As far as licensing goes, I actually *want* people to be able to
   resell applications based on my code, so I'm not going to use the
   GPL.

   I also want to make it easy for people to use the code with PHP, so
   that's why I was looking to use the PHP license. However, using one
   of the BSD/Apache licenses isn't out of the question. I'll check
   them out.

> I distribute software via bzipped tarballs.  I develop the programs in
> CVS and have a script that exports the stuff from CVS, tars it, zips
> it and produces GPG signatures and MD5 sums all in one shot.  I can
> toss that to you if you want.

This would be really useful. Please send me a copy.

Is the only thing I need to do to make a package usable with the PEAR
Package Manger is to include a suitable package.xml file? Can I use
pear to generate a package even if it's not part of PEAR?

> Here's a list of the various PEAR compatible licenses:

Very useful set of links. Thanks.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!