[nycphp-talk] Releasing Code

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Mon Sep 27 12:45:20 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Scott Mattocks wrote:

> There will be an official PEAR package soon (probably by the end of the
> week) http://pear.php.net/pepr/pepr-proposal-show.php?id=36 But you
> probably already know that.

Thanks. I am familiar with Services_EBay. That uses our XML API
instead of our SOAP API. For various business/corporate reasons, I
want to make sure people can use *both* sets of APIs on PHP.

For one, certain calls are only available as SOAP calls. Also, the
SOAP API has a better data schema. Next, the SOAP interface is
automatically updated just by us changing our WSDL, while
Services_EBay will require some manual additions. Last, some people
just like SOAP for SOAP's sake.

Personally, I will probably use Services_EBay, but that's a different
story. :)

> You can use PEAR to generate the xml file and then package everything
> up. It doesn't have to be a part of PEAR for this to work. Take a look
> at http://pear.php.net/package/PEAR_PackageFileManager That class will
> help you create the xml file. Then all you have to do is run
> $ pear package
> in the directory that your package.xml file lives.
>
> Then to install it all anyone has to do is run
> $ pear install packagename.tar.gz

Awesome. With PEAR, I can never tell what's current practice and
what's two years old. I'll take a look at this.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!