[nycphp-talk] Releasing Code

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Mon Sep 27 13:10:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Daniel Convissor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 12:45:20PM -0400, Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg wrote:
> >
> > Thanks. I am familiar with Services_EBay. That uses our XML API
> > instead of our SOAP API. For various business/corporate reasons, I
> > want to make sure people can use *both* sets of APIs on PHP.
>
> Well, you COULD incorporate your work into that PEAR package or create
> another PEAR package so PEAR'istas will have both available.

I definitely *don't* want to integrate my work in that PEAR package.

For one, I don't want to introduce an external dependency on
PEAR::SOAP. Second, I will eventually port my code to use ext/soap, so
there will be changing requirements. (SOAP is so fricking hard to
understand, I need to play around on PEAR::SOAP before I can write up
meaningful ext/soap bug reports.)

Also, as I already mentioned, the SOAP API has a completely different
schema as the XML API. Switching between them is not just a matter of
altering the underlying protocols.

Therefore, to cleanly graft the two together, I'd need to abstract out
far too much to make it worth my time. However, since the code is open
source, I would be happy if someone else wanted to do it. :)

I actually don't want to submit this as an official PEAR package, but
I want to make it easy to install, hence my interest in how pear
packaging works.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!