[nycphp-talk] MySQL 5.0?

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sat Apr 2 13:00:57 EST 2005

> Is anybody using MySQL 5.0 in anything close to a production environment, yet?

Yeah, people are actually.  Although not officially supported, people are using 5.0 in production, and in fact one company has been using it for over 8 months without a problem.

> I need to reinstall server OS today, and I'm thinking maybe I should just install 5 and get it over with.

> The old databases are 4.0. Any problems I'm likely to run into by skipping 4.1?

Quite a bit has changed between 4.0 and 5.0.  Some things that come to mind are client libraries, password handling, timestamp handling, etc.  But the list goes on, and I'd recommend exporting your data to text, then reimporting to 5.0 unless there's a lot of data to deal with.  You could also use CREATE TABLE SELECT...

> Hans, if you're listening, give me the hard sell. :-)

Haha - well, all that said above, 5.0 is feature complete and many people are developing against it, with some as I said using it in production (although unsupported).  The biggest thing to be aware of will the application and interaction with the database, rather than the stability of the database itself.  Of course, there are stored procedures available in 5.0, so the migration should be a snap :)

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder

New York PHP