[nycphp-talk] MySQL UPDATE

Aaron Fischer agfische at email.smith.edu
Tue Apr 5 16:00:13 EDT 2005

Greetings,

Apologies for the obnoxious looking post, I'm really not shouting...  =)

I have run into a little problem with an application that I am building
that will allow users to add, update and/or delete records from a mysql
database.  All works well except for the form that is used to edit
(update) an existing record.

The form page queries the database, retrieves the values, creates the
form and populates the form fields with the appropriate values.  The
form properly updates the database record when the user adds a value to
an empty field or changes the field value.  However, the problem occurs
when a user wants to remove a value, resulting in the field holding no
value.  The form will post fine, but the field that contains no value
will not update the database.  The database field retains it's existing
data.

I had thought that the value in the database record would be
overwritten by the empty value coming from the form field.  Clearly it
isn't.

Would appreciate any tips/pointers; please let me know if additional
info would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Aaron