[nycphp-talk] Can I do this in one query?

Tom tom at supertom.com
Sat Apr 9 00:28:39 EDT 2005

Can I do this in one query?

Suppose I have a three column table (it is really not, but I'm trying to
keep it simple)

table: scores
name, varchar(40)
category, varchar(40)
points, int

I would like to select the top 5 in each category with the most amount of
points, and group them by category, to ultimately be displayed like this:

CATEGORY1

person1  1000
person2  900
person3  800
person4  700
person5  600

CATEGORY2

person1  950
person2  800
person3  700
person4  500
person5  400

I see that I can do this in two queries and some PHP code, by driving a loop
with the DISTINCT category, and saying something like

SELECT name,points FROM scores WHERE category='$category' ORDER BY points
DESC LIMIT 0,5

but there must be a better way

Thanks,

Tom