[nycphp-talk] [OT] SSH keys: what am I doing wrong?

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Wed Aug 10 09:35:15 EDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Christopher Merlo wrote:

> On 8/9/05, David Mintz <dmintz at davidmintz.org> wrote:
>
> > So I started over from scratch with my .ssh directory on interps1, that
> > is, I appended my id_rsa.pub (from my desktop) to .ssh/authorized_keys (on
> > interps1) and tried again to ssh. Still I get prompted for password.
>
> Make sure the authorized_keys file is readable only by you.  When you
> do an "ls -l" on the file, you should see something like this:
>
> -rw-------  1 cmerlo cmerlo 605 2005-08-09 23:04 .ssh/authorized_keys

D'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Just 20 seconds ago I figured that out and then checked
my nyphp mail hoping it wasn't too late to say nevermind.

Thank you.

One of the hardest things to learn is when to get up and walk away. I
walked out in digust yesterday, came back fresh today and solved it in
literally under a minute. RTFM turned out to be fundamental once again.

As for the passwordlessness, yes of course you're right. Problem is there
are some things cron does over ssh from here to other machines out there
(outside out intranet) and I haven't figured out how to do them with --
pardon them expression? -- nonpasswordless keys. I have read somewhere
about ways to limit the command set that can be executed on the remote
server, shoulda bookmarked that page.

Thank you again,

	David

---