[nycphp-talk] transparent session ID not working

Michael Southwell michael.southwell at nyphp.org
Mon Aug 15 18:03:20 EDT 2005

Here is a problem which I have been able to work around but haven't been
able to understand.

1.  form script starts a session, shows a form, submits it to a checking
script.
2.  checking script starts a session and checks whether some fields
have been filled in.  If not, uses header to go back to the form with
an appropriate reminder.  If so, stores post info into session and
uses header to go back to form script.
3.  form script starts session, retrieves session info, and emails it.

This works perfectly unless cookies are turned off.  When cookies are
turned off, the docs say that PHP will send the SID as a get variable.
But when I test in Firefox/WinXP the SID is not passed, and so the
session info is not available to the email, and so the form info is
not sent.

The host has session.use_cookies set on, and session.use_only_cookies
set off, and session.use_trans_sid set on. This to me means that the
sessions should be working even without cookies--but they aren't. What
no doubt obvious thing am I overlooking?

Michael Southwell, Vice President for Education
New York PHP
http://www.nyphp.com/training - In-depth PHP Training Courses