[nycphp-talk] Using Apache to Limit Number of Users in aDirectory

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Thu Aug 25 18:01:27 EDT 2005

talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org wrote on Thursday, August 25, 2005 8:00 AM:
> Ultimately, I found two available Apache mods called mod_throttle and
> mod_bandwidth that can selectively throttle Apache. The documentation
> of mod_bandwidth clearly showed it could throttle by directory
> and/or virtual sites.
>
> But I am instead first attempting to resolve my situation with more basic
> techniques: Tuning Apache. Tuning MySQL. Building a slow-query log.
Getting
> more RAM (as it is actually called for). Revisiting the PHP code.

That's probably the right approach.  Of course everything depends on
hardware and your traffic pattern, but so often the database/PHP processing
can be the bottleneck that's it's good to check pressure points in that area
first.

> I can't find enough third-party endorsement of these throttling mods to go
> right ahead with them.

I've worked more with mod_throttle than mod_bandwidth.  I'd say it's more
active, but it's just a educated guess from a couple of experiences in the
past.

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder