[nycphp-talk] OT: Freelance PHP gig Not Paying up!

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Thu Dec 22 13:13:38 EST 2005

Years ago the company I worked for dealt with this very situation.  The
1st time it happened, they disabled the application but provided
information to the company as to how to access their data.  They sued,
and the cost of defense was too much.  My company settled out of court
by re-activating the system and of all things paying like 5k.  They
never collected, and with the settlement, ended up costing themselves to
develop the app!

 From that point on they had much more explicit language in their
contracts, but never had to deactivate an application again.  This was
due to a more creative solution.  Errors.  Simply introduce code which
once a set date is hit, cause the application to throw an error in a key
area of the application.  When the customer calls to have it fixed, you
say not until I receive payment for the app development, and advance
payment for the estimated time to correct the "error".  Actual error
correction was to remove this payment trap.