[nycphp-talk] OT: Freelance PHP gig Not Paying up!

Alberto dos Santos yournway at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 05:39:08 EST 2005

On 23/12/05, Mark Armendariz <enolists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've known incredibly successful managers who wouldn't hire someone until
> they've had a solid night of drinking between them.  This is a similar
> idea.  Getting to know someone before introducing them to your wife.

True, very true.

In business we tend to forget that we're dealing with people.  The swine out
> there make this plenty easy.  I'm proud to say that of all my clients (about
> 15 regular clients, internationally) have no need for contracts regardless
> of the size of the project.  Sure, projects that make it to the high 5/6
> figure level include contracts, but that's mutual protection for all parties
> involved (including the likely investors). Otherwise, I send invoices so
> they can report for tax time, and I write proposals for their clients, but
> my relationship with MY clients are solid.  We've chosen each other as we
> would choose a friend.  Reliable and honest.  This, to me, is the ideal way
> to do business, and better yet, to live (which freelancing tends to cross
> borders with regularly).

Here, here.  I live by this same rule, and although it's not easy and not an
easy way to multimillion euros of business, assures me that when I do
something I really get paid.

--
Alberto dos Santos
Consultor em TI