[nycphp-talk] next challenge

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Wed Feb 23 10:50:55 EST 2005

Silly but true story/word of caution:

If you add a "delete record" button, be sure your admin page is
protected with a password and also add a robots.txt. A few years back, I
had a unprotected admin page (security through obscurity, heh!).
Googlebot found the page (linked from an automated daily web stats page)
and proceeded to spider all the [delete] links ultimately wiping out all
the records. Luckily I was able to restore from a nightly backup. It was
quite embarrasing to be owned by a search engine.

~Rolan