[nycphp-talk] [OT] recommend laptop repair place/Windows XPfixer-upper?

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sat Jan 1 11:52:08 EST 2005

 Mitch Pirtle writes:
> Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] [OT] recommend laptop repair
>
> http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/knowing-knoppix/index.html
>
> "You can't start Windows! Disaster? Possibly not.

You can run Knoppix if you have a minimum of 128 Mb (working) RAM.
Maybe reinserting the ram chips in their sockets (again)
would be a good thing to do. (seems like there are two
problems goind on here: flaky ram and corrupted files)

Earlier Susan had said that she was unable to bring up
her laptop in 'Safe Mode' -- perhaps the master boot record
is one of the things that got corrupted...

If that's the case, it would seem that booting from another
device (either a CD or floppy) would be the thing to try.

But if you (Susan) have a rescue floppy for XP, maybe it would be
easier to try booting from that. Then once booted in command
line mode (effectively MS-Dos), copy what's important to
floppies.

If you have an installation CD, you could try pressing F10
(or 'R" to repair) at the setup welcome screen.
(this is the route I would go --  after getting good
copies of important files)

If you meet strange obstacles while trying to effect a
repair, you may find entering 'recovery' in the search box
in the upper right hand corner of  http://support.microsoft.com/winxp
will produce some helpful ideas.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com