[nycphp-talk] php bulletin boards

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Mon Jan 3 18:05:52 EST 2005

Hello all,

phpBB is full-featured, but has had some prominent security issues in
the recent past; hence people are recommending against installing it. It
is easy for virus and worm writers as well as hackers to target software
that has a large installed base. phpBB is widely installed, hence it is
widely exploited. (I have not looked at its code, but it could not be
that bad so popular at the same time, right?)

I have used (an older version of) MiniBB in the past for a low-traffic
forum:

http://www.minibb.net/

The Wordpress (weblog software) guys used to use MiniBB for their forum
software, but now it seems they have written their own:

http://bbpress.org/about/

BBpress is supposed to be even lighter and even more secure than MiniBB.

I have also heard that Fudforum is more secure than phpBB:

It is www.fudforum.org , I think, but it seems to be down now.

Best regards,

- Jay