[nycphp-talk] [OT] The CMS Dance Redux

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:49:12 EST 2005

As a Mambo developer I am biased - but can still say in all honesty
nobody can compete feature-for-feature with Plone (www.plone.org).
The only real needs you have are:

1) you gotta have hardware - the environment is big (think aircraft
carrier) and you will need both reverse proxy servers (I recommend
pound) and a dedicated SMP machine for zope

2) you will need someone with python experience - managing a plone
site is really a no-brainer once you get it installed, but then
someone starts asking about customization, then you get hooked up wth
Archetypes (my favourite feature)...

Those two things handled, it is a VERY powerful environment that will
handle anything they could possibly dream up. I even plugged Zope
hosted on a linux machine directly to a MS SQL server, all with FOSS
goodies (FreeTDS, SQL Relay and some voodoo).

With OpenSourceCMS you can demo just about every single LAMP-based CMS
available, so that should be an afternoon spent wisely. I was drawn to
Mambo over the administration interface, and that opinion is purely
subjective!  To each his own.

I'd like to see your results posted here just for grins, as somebody
seems to ask a similar question once a month.

I'd also like to commend your wisdom in your initial recommendation ;-)

-- Mambo Mitch