[nycphp-talk] of interest - new form of database programming

Tim Sailer sailer at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 19 08:47:03 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:06:13AM -0500, Joseph Crawford wrote:
> yes i understand it is streaming data, however even streaming data has
> to be stored somehow, you cant just have data on the computer and not
> stored anywhere :D

Nope, not true. I have a central log server that just outputs to a pipe.
I have scripts that watch the pipe for certain info, and perform certain
acts, depending on what they see. I think this is sorta the same thing.

> and if it is streaming what's to say you wont "miss" a quote by not
> querying at as it is going through the stream?

I'm sure that a certain amount is in a read buffer...

Tim

--
Tim Sailer <sailer at bnl.gov>
Information and Special Technologies Program