[nycphp-talk] MAMP setup tips wanted

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Sun Jan 30 14:35:02 EST 2005

Hi everybody.

I am soon to start teaching an introductory PHP class. Week 1 assignment
is get yourself up and running PHP 5.0.x w/ mysqli, MySQL 4.1.x and Apache
1.3.33 or 2.0.5x on your own development machine. I can talk about
installation and configuration from (modest) experience on Windows and
Linux, both with XAMPP and building from source, but not OS X because I
got no OS X machine to play with.

Generally speaking, can you try XAMPP for Linux on Mac OS X and get lucky?
Or, suppose you use a package like MAMP (http://www.mamp.info/en/home/).
It looks wonderful but I would like MySQL 4.1.x and mysqli, which it
lacks -- how painful do you think it would be to upgrade its MySQL to
4.1.9, and possibly, if necessary, also update its PHP to include mysqli?

Stated differently:  is there a painless way for novices to get AMP going
on their Mac __with the latest production-quality__ versions of
everything? Last time I had students whose Macs already had AMP dating
from their OS installation time -- and in some cases that was pretty old.

Thanks and sorry for the verbosity,

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

"Don't let the liberal media tell you what to think
and feel. If you have hatred in your heart, let it out."

   -- Clayton Bigsby, black white supremacist