[nycphp-talk] Mambo (was: Consulting work)

leam at reuel.net leam at reuel.net
Sat Jul 2 19:02:38 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 06:41:45PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
>
> >We base all our deliverables on Mambo (well we should, we're core
> >developers LOL), and I knew we could get to market with 80-90% of what
> >the client needed with off-the-shelf stuff from MamboForge.net and so
> >on, and the whole shebang would take less than a month.
>
> Mitch could I ask you a few questions related to Mambo?
> CCing the lits since I think it may be of interest..
>
> Recently I bumped into Mambo and I think it would be a great time saver
> because of what you listed above (lots of components already built,
> communal work, etc...).
>
> The questions..
> * Non MySQL support.
> Based on what I see on the forums and an email I sent asking it seems
> Mambo will support other databases in the not too distant future.
>
> Do you have any guestimates when this may be?
>
> * How big a learning curve do you see learning Mambo? We talking days or
> weeks.. for an experience PHP developer.
>
> Don't have MySQL so have not tried Mambo.. but looking to try it once it
> supports other DBs.
>
> * For what type of applications do you think it's best suited and least
> suited?
>
> I have seem some of the mambo sites users have done and it seemed a pretty
> wide spectrum.

I can answer some of this. First, I was able to do stuff with Mambo and I'm not a good programmer. There are lots of add-ons you can get for Mambo, Mitch just mentioned Mambo-PHPshop. A skilled PHP'r would have a lot of fun setting things up and tweaking them.

My view of Mambo is that it's best for an informational site where the non-tech user updates things. You can add/edit pages on-line and publish them at will. Pretty neat sutff. On the other hand, I'm paranoid enough to want lots of backups and editing on-line gives me the willies.

Note that my opinion is based on some exposure, but not a lot. I wouldn't choose Mambo for a minimal e-commerce site because much of it wouldn't be used. But I have a place or two I wish I would have know about Mambo before they got set up...

Jump in--you'll love it!

ciao!

leam