[nycphp-talk] php rpm for RH 7.3?

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Thu Jul 7 22:19:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Leila Lappin wrote:

> [snip]
> Last week I finally upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora
> Core 4, because I wanted to use PHP 5.  Now, with
> Fedora upgrade, I no longer have to look for packages
> everywhere.  Fedora comes with a utility (yum) that
> links to specific repositories of upgrade rpm’s and
> installs from those directly.  Life is getting easier
> and better every day.

Interesting -- I'm a fellow former RH9 user, now using Fedora 3 at work
(Ubuntu at home), and I use rpms and yum and apt-get for nearly everything
I can ~except~ Apache/MySQL/PHP, prefering instead to compile from source
(or install the MySQL binaries from one of their tasty tarballs). That's
because -- this is my ignorance speaking here -- I don't know how to find
out what extensions are supported in e.g. the PHP binary that comes in the
rpm, and where the rpm plans to put things, until after it's done. How's
the Fedora 4 php rpm in this regard?

I also like having the option of doing an upgrade NOW, when a new version
comes out, instead of having to wait a couple days for an rpm to follow.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/