[nycphp-talk] php install: "can't find mysql headers"

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 11:20:20 EDT 2005

--- Allen Shaw <ashaw at iifwp.org> wrote:

> Okay, I decided to go with a source install, and now
> I'm just confused.
> As I mentioned earlier I installed php 4.3.11 from
> source this morning
> without removing the existing php rpms, and I
> noticed that some things
> weren't working.  So I went back and removed those
> rpms and tried to
> rebuild again, but the problems don't go away.
>
> The real problem I'm trying to solve is that apache
> (1.3) is
> consistently segfaulting on a few apparently
> randomly chosen calls.
> That is, I have a few links on my site that are
> garuanteed to cause a
> segmentation fault in apache, but it's seems oddly
> random why those
> links are broken and not any other.  So I thought,
> maybe it's an arcane
> php bug; upgrade to latest and then submit a
> bug-report if necessary.
> Even stranger, now that I've upgraded, I get the
> *same* behavior, but on
> *different* links (including any select operations
> with phpMyAdmin, but
> not update, insert, etc., and not selects in other
> php scripts...)
>
> But my hope has been that, maybe, just maybe, there
> IS a bug in php's
> mysql support somewhere, and if I were to compile
> --with-mysql=/path/to/mysql-headers I might just be
> okay.  But that
> seems a no-go, too.
>
> Using '--with-mysql=/usr/include/mysql' gets me the
> error 'Cannot find
> MySQL header files under /usr/include/mysql'; same
> for
> '--with-mysql=/usr/lib/mysql'.  Those are the only
> two directories that
> rpm says contain files from the MySQL-devel package.
>  And
> /usr/include/mysql does contain mysql.h .
>
> There are numerous discussions of this error message
> on the Web, but all
> the one's I've found seem to be either dead ends or
> just as
> trial-and-error as I am.
>
> So, banging my head again, I ask the group: what the
> heck am I doing
> wrong? (Even the most obscure hint would be
> appreciated...)
>
> Thanks,
> Allen
>
> --

> Allen Shaw
> ashaw at iifwp.org
> IIFWP Data and
> 914.631.1331 x.106
>     IT Services
> http://www.iifwp.org

Hi,

Segfaul error (or segmentation fault) occurs when a
bogus address is being referenced. More specific to
your case when apache is looking for something at an
address that is no longer holding that information.

This error will also occur if two binaries being
linked together are compiled with two different
versions of the compiler.  All and all I think this
error could be the result of you old version of PHP
prevents the newer version from being identified. I am
assuming that’s what you mean by “without removing
existing php rpms”.

The fix may be tricky, I would first try to uninstall
the old version of the PHP (rpm commands and options)
and then try to re-install the new version of PHP from
source.