[nycphp-talk] strpos with space

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 16:10:24 EDT 2005

The 250 offsets the 250th occurance of ' ', which therefore should be right
after the 250th word (assuming there aren't some random occurances of it).

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.strpos.php - note the last example,
where it returns 7 and not 1 (with the offset).

>> Food for thought: what does your application do if it receives a 10,000
>> character sequence of A's in a row without spaces? Might it be that
>> you want to break at 250 words OR a maximum number of characters?

This function is only being used where administrators of the site would be
inputting data, so that right now isn't a concern for me. However, once I
get the site launched and start fine tuning my scripts, I may also put a
character limit on it with a certain ratio of words to characters.

On 7/25/05, Jonathan <hendler at simmons.edu> wrote:

> I am confused by the
>
> "strpos($text, ' ', $words)"
> because in this case $words represents 250 charactor offset for the
> function strpos.
> So instead of 250 words, wouldn't you get the first 250 charactors?
>
> You want to find the position of the 250th word? I would use the index
> 250 of the array returned from str_word_count:
>
> http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.str-word-count.php
> "2 - returns an associative array, where the key is the numeric position
> of the word inside the string and the value is the actual w"
>
> Brian O'Connor wrote:
>
> > I played around with those functions, and I think I can get them to
> > work with what I need.
> >
> > However, I'm equally as interested in figuring out why this doesn't
> > work as I am in getting a working function for what I need.
> >
> > Thanks for those functions btw.
> >
> > On 7/25/05, *Hans Zaunere* <lists at zaunere.com
> > <mailto:lists at zaunere.com>> wrote:
> >

> > Here are some old functions I've used to do similar things. I
> > can't guarantee how well they work, but they should give you some
> > ideas at least.
> >
> > http://www.pcomd.net/word_bevel <http://www.pcomd.net/word_bevel>
> > http://www.pcomd.net/str_bevel <http://www.pcomd.net/str_bevel>
> >

> > ---