[nycphp-talk] OT Eclipse

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Sat Jul 30 21:16:33 EDT 2005

On Saturday, July 30, 2005 4:57 AM, talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > I'd second that approach.  I've been using Eclipse 3, phpEclipse,
Subclipse
> > and Subversion (using Apache SSL WebDav) and pleased with it.
>
> Just curious. Are you using all the phpeclipse plugin or has someone
> tried the Xored Truestudio (foundation or professional). Their latest
> maintenance build are quite usable under Eclipse 3.1...

I've been trying both; Eclipse 3.1 with PHPClipse and another install of
Eclipse 3.0 with the TruStudio package.  I haven't seen that it would work
with 3.1, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

> IMO Truestudio has some more advanced features and the plugin imitates
> some of the Java developement practises is Eclipse. The professional
> versions is commercial ($95/year) but the foundation might do
> the job as well, if you can forfeit some features.

It has been looking pretty good - some nice source browsing features, etc.
although so far it's missing some nice things, as far as I can tell (click
class to go to definition, UML, etc).

Those aren't very big deals, though.  My biggest problem with Eclipse so far
has been working remotely.  It's quite common to need to work on a remote
server when doing any type of web work.  I've tried mounting a WebDav server
in Windows XP, and having Eclipse use it as the project directory.  So far
it's ok, although there are some reoccuring errors that don't seem to hurt
the file consistency, but I'm not comfortable taking a chance for real
development.

The other missing feature in Eclipse is the lack of SFTP.  There is a
plug-in from Klomp, but it seems outdated, and only to work with 3.0.  I'm a
little surprised that Eclipse hasn't included SFTP (and even WebDav) access
in it's core, as most other editors/IDEs have.

I'm still seeing what works and what doesn't, and will post back what I find
the magic combo to be (if there is one).

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder
New York PHP