[nycphp-talk] [OT] Consulting work

Mark Withington mwithington at PLMresearch.com
Fri Jun 3 11:17:04 EDT 2005

Adding my two cents (or perhaps non-cents).

Nearly all the "big" consulting companies follow this format when proposing
consulting work:

1.  "Through our vast knowledge we think this project will cost $xxx" (fyi -
this rarely occurs);
2.  "This is only an estimate, using best practices" (and witchcraft);
3.  "We used the following rates/project plan to price this estimate";
4.  "If for some reasons the job take longer (e.g. reality sets in) we will
use this rate card for all work going forward";
5.  "We of course will never charge you additional money without another
estimate and your approval" (oh, btw when we get to this point you'll be so
far into the project you'll have no choice but approve the new estimate)
6.  We will meet frequently to ensure that you're aware of when we're going
pull this stunt.
7.  rinse and repeat.

Can you tell that I live up in Boston - home of the "Big Dig" ;-)

Enjoy the weekend

--------------------------
Mark L. Withington
PLMresearch