[nycphp-talk] Pitching PHP to a Java House

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Thu Jun 9 07:27:16 EDT 2005

Mark Armendariz wrote:
> A good friend mentioned that he usually argues that the development time
> is preferable with PHP. Anyone here have resources to share or a good
> general direction to walk in with this argument?

A company for whom I consult was considering porting their existing ASP
software from PHP/Perl to Java.  Their reason had mostly to do with
their new tech director and the fact that he only knew Java.

Most of my arguments fell on deaf ears.  The one that finally caused the
bosses to put the kibosh on the Java porting project was my reminder of
how the software is hacked almost daily to add new chrome and doodads
for specific ASP clients without affecting the others.  PHP (and Perl)
are simply better suited to this sort of ad hoc surgery than Java.

It also helped when I told them that their PHP/PostgreSQL production
servers had been up for 480 days without a reboot (they were also
considering porting to an MS architecture).