[nycphp-talk] search engine suggestion

Wai Siow rs234 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 15 16:12:31 EST 2005

Hi all:

I am currently looking for a search engine to be used for our next website
redesign... and wonder if there's anything good that does a good job with
the following:

1. able to index different types of file, incl but not limited to: pdf,
html, php, doc.

2. able to index a database driven site, i.e. site with its content stored
in a database.

3. handle large number of documents (500K?) or no limit.  can merge index
files during search / after indexing if necessary.

4. definitely not as expensive as the google search server, which cost
somewhere like 25K... we'd probably at most be able to spend 5K on the
solution.

5. config files or a web/gui interface for indexing (but not confusing, i
consider swish-e not terrible), can be easily integrated into a custom php
search result page.

I've looked at swish-e and DTSearch so far, but I am sure you guys have
better idea than I do.  If you have some good suggestions please let me
know.  Thanks in advance!

Wai (Raymond) Siow
Web Application Developer / Programmer
Web Development Team
Cornell Cooperative Extension
Email: r s two three four at cornell dot edu
Phone: (six-o-seven) two-five-five-seven-nine-four-nine