[nycphp-talk] follow-up on someone's question about how Yahoo! handles 302 redirects

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:33:57 EST 2005

As a follow-up to the SEO presentation last Tuesday, someone asked how
Yahoo! handles 302 redirects since there does not seem to be any
"hijacking" problem on Yahoo!

During the talk I did not recall that Yahoo! presented their new
approach to handling the 302 redirect in Las Vegas last November. I was
in that audience and it was very important at the time, because Yahoo!
had been mis-handling 301's as well as 302's for several months prior to
that and it had become a real hassle. I don't know why I forgot about it
--  Anyway I looked it up and it is archived on the Yahoo! blog here :
http://www.ysearchblog.com/files/wmw2004/search-engines-and-webmasters.ppt

See slides 14 and 15 for a description of how they handle the 301 and
302 redirects.

Basically if the 302 is within-site, they either keep the original
anyway (if it was root) OR (if it was deep within site) keep the new
target page.
If the 302 is OFF-SITE, they choose to store the target in the index,
which eliminates any benefit to 302 redirecting as a form of hijacking.

-=john andrews