proposing NYPHP Cookbook (aka Re: [nycphp-talk] $$ question)

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Fri May 27 15:35:37 EDT 2005

> Hans C. Kaspersetz wrote:
>
> > Didn't we recently start a project similar to this?  I think it was the
> > code archive project?  I think that project is living in suspended
> > animation.  Not to poo-poo on the parade but I think we should pick up
> > the code archive project and add a couple of fields that cover the
> >
> > Hans K

Yeah, we did.

David, it's an excellent idea, and although similar to the code archive project, you've added a lot of new ideas to it.

> I haven't actually joined any nyphp projects yet, so I can't
> authoritatively comment on why the project faded into oblivion, but I am
> given the impression that the current projects are large, complex, and
> require some sort of approval process to join. These barriers of entry
> are probably intimidating to a lot of people. Comittment to join a long
> term project is also intimidating, where as firing off a quick hack or
> suggestion on a mailing list is not. Small projects are simply easier to
> bite off and swallow.

Actually, not really; there are no barriers of entry.  Any project, large or small, needs a motivator.  The project process we have provides some level of organization for a project.  And, to get people interested in helping, a short explanation/description of the project is needed.  It's very simple to do, but just requires someone to take the first step.

Since there are a lot of similar concepts between the cookbook and the code archive project, it'd be even easier for someone to jumpstart that.