[nycphp-talk] Market rate for development in NYC

Andrew Yochum andrew at plexpod.com
Fri May 27 17:17:07 EDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 04:54:16PM -0400, Frank Wong wrote:
> I wanted to survey what people think is the fair market rate per hour
> for PHP/MySQL or ASP.NET development.  I just had a conversation with a
> friend in San Francisco and he said that it is not uncommon to be
> offered $30/hr for ASP.NET work even by large companies like Schwab,
> SBC, Intel, etc.  For some background, he is a very experience developer
> with 10 years under his belt.  So we are not talking entry level or
> junior developer here.  Is that about the same type of rates expected
> here in NYC?

I would say that sounds very low for NYC, especially for someone with 10
yrs under their belt. Salary.com confirms that for NYC for a "Web
Software Developer":
	http://tinyurl.com/as9qf
And also for SF:
	http://tinyurl.com/9l5rq
And it goes up for "Web Software Developer, Sr." in NYC:
	http://tinyurl.com/9y3sf
And is even higher in SF:
	http://tinyurl.com/9nxxo

Is the keyword in your statement "offered"?  Meaning, are they
low-balling developers with under market rates?  But possibly
negotiating up... as long as the developer is savvy enough?

Hmm.

Andrew

--
Andrew Yochum