[nycphp-talk] Market rate for development in NYC

Daniel Krook krook at us.ibm.com
Fri May 27 19:27:03 EDT 2005

> > I haven't trusted salary.com numbers since I dug this up some years
ago.
> > It's still on there with the same figures as 4 years ago.
> >
> > "The median expected salary for a typical Surfer - Web in New York, NY
is
> > $42,010.
> >
> > Surfer - Web
> > Visits multiple websites to gather information. Reviews and catalogues

> > websites according to established guidelines. Requires a high school
> > diploma with 0-2 years of experience in the field or in a related
area.
> > Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures
within
> > a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established
guidelines
> > to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate
supervision.
> > Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent
> > judgment. Typically reports to a manager."
>
> Such jobs exist aplenty.  That not bunk at all.  Think online "ambulance
> chasers" or SE "beat cop" for example.
>
> The salary not changing is curious, can't explain that...
>
> Andrew

You and John make a good point about that position describing market
research, targetted data mining and copyright/SE policy enforcement.

>From the term "surfer" I had visions of getting paid $42k to wander
aimlessly from site to site, kind of like getting carried away by all the
Star Wars info at Wikipedia and burning time following link after link
into the wee hours of the morning.  "Surf" has always had a
free-time/consumer connotation to me I suppose.  :)

I guess "web researcher" or "information analyst" would be a better name
for what's intended by the salary.com description.