[nycphp-talk] Market rate for development in NYC

Frank Wong frank_wong2 at informationideas.com
Fri May 27 17:48:27 EDT 2005

So given the information, we have the median of ~$65/hr for a Sr. Web
Software Developer.  This was determined with the following information.

50 work week per year for full time
40 hour work week
$96,727 for full time Sr Web Software Developer
35% increase in hourly rate for contractors

I guess that makes for a great discrepancy between what my friend was
quoted ($30/hr) and the median going rate.  It just doesn't make sense.
He also said that he had been turned down before and the prospect told
him that he was by far the most qualified person out of all their
applicants but they just cannot afford him.  Has anyone experienced this
in NYC?  I am still wondering if there is a difference in how IT work is
value between the 2 locations that is not represented by those median
salary numbers.  Or he is just looking in the wrong place for clients,
but I hardly consider Schwab, SBC, and Intel terrible clients.

Frank Wong