[nycphp-talk] Smarty Templates

Brian Kaney brian at vermonster.com
Wed Nov 2 12:02:49 EST 2005

Strictly speaking if your team has a designer responsible for just
creating look & feel and usability, than you will likely will need
someone technical to implement the design.  And this person will need
some level of display logic for looping/conditionals/etc.  For this, we
usually use PHPSavant, since it gives the person doing the
implementation the full power of PHP.  Then we enforce design guidelines
to keep business logic far away from the template and UI  implementation.

We've also used PHPTal, since the template language is abstracted and
theoretically the backend programming language could be Python, Ruby,
Perl or even Java.  But it turned out learning a new templating language
(similar to Smarty) seemed like too much overhead for us.

Good luck.
Brian