[nycphp-talk] PHP vs. new ASP.NET 2.0

LeeEyerman at aol.com LeeEyerman at aol.com
Sat Nov 26 22:39:23 EST 2005

In my experience, PHP is a far more reliable and stable language to deliver
cross platform/cross web browser apps.  They also tend to be MUCH easier  and
faster to build.  They have a very low cost of entry for all  users and
organizations - even look at web hosting costs - MS hosting  is still more expensive
and far more restricting -  then upfront costs are  high.    And the fact is,
Sun and Oracle support  PHP extensively for the fact that it is easy to
create and  maintain highly scalable websites.

On the other hand, I know a lot of great websites and clients who use
ASP.NET.  There apps are good - unless you're on a mac, or... :)  The  real test
will be time.  And the fact is, Billy just sent out a memo saying  online apps
are the future, ie., salesforce.com, netsuite (oracle), on-line  quickbooks,
etc.  So we will see who wins in the end.  That is life,  it is what makes it
fun.  (Besides how would I make any money when clients  spend a ton on the
drag-and-drop promise from MS and I come save the day  with a LAMP. :)

I am just curious, Susan, how long have you been a member of nyphp?  I  do
not remember ever reading any posts from you on any of the NYPHP  subsections?
Are you affiliated with Microsoft somehow?  Are you  being paid/asked to do
this?  I just want to keep the record straight b/c I  know MS is not above
paying someone to post something like this in hopes of  getting a few new php
programmers to try their fancy new drag and drop product,  instead of really
becoming programmers. (I know this is called  something but I forget what) I am just
curious, and I hope that you  are just another programmer frustrated by
another language, because I have been  there - I think they call it JAVA.  But I
wouldn't want to be entertaining  this conversation if it was just a PR stunt
from MS.  And this whole "men"  comment seems just weird?  Not all of us are
men, and for as long as I've  been a member (approx. 16 months, maybe more) I
have never, ever, heard any kind  of comment like that - and I can assure you
things aren't always pleasant - like  I said, it just seems weird.

If you are for real, what type of apps are you developing?  Is your
argument, "I'd rather spend time developing my application design and GUI and
workflow, not tinkering with the simple/same DB access code?

I think a lot of us here strive to be really good programmers and Internet
web app developers in a very pure sense.  Most of us have created our own
libraries or reusable code - all of it hammered out by us - even with the
assistance of other NYPHP members.  It is not easy, but when you are done,  you own
that code - it is not some mystery code MS created.  That is how I  make a
living, and I am sure a number of other people do the same.  For me,  and I would
imagine all of us would agree, hard work and a whole lot of  ^&#!@ finesse is
required on every job - that is a programmer - male or  female.  Are you a
programmer?  Or are you more of a system  designer?

Anyway I would just like to say, on this thanksgiving weekend, thanks for
all the good talk and advice from everyone.

This is a nice place to be,
it is all free
and PHP
is better than ASP

Lee

PS, this is funny: "Then you arent really a programmer, you are an Excel
user..
>  -Max Gribov

In a message dated 11/26/2005 10:00:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,