[nycphp-talk] PHP vs. new ASP.NET 2.0

Jonathan hendler at simmons.edu
Wed Nov 30 18:37:45 EST 2005

---
Not to "beat a dead horse", but I like open source.
I am developing an extension in C for PHP. I have access to Zend library
functions as well as the rest of C. (ANSI almost as cross platform as Java)
Not easy in Mono or .NET AFAIK.
Ruby on Rails isn't drag and drop, but the same ideas come to mind about
code reuse and structured programming (if you need that much structure
for RAD).

The IDE conversation is always interesting. The best coders I've seen
use VIM and EMACS and have enough macros to play a keyboard like a
piano. That's RAD (pun intended)
I use Eclipse, KDevelop, BBEdit, and Dreamweaver depending on what
platform, lanuage I'm using. They all have subversion plugins, SFTP,
etc. You may also want to check out Komodo, in addition to Zend studio.
I've used the old Visual Studio out of necessity - but no matter how
nice Microsoft gets, it's still a golden bird cage.

- Jonathan
----