[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on gettext? What works better?

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:06:49 EST 2005

I know we have some folks on this list with plenty of i18n
experience... has anyone gone down the GNU gettext road?

It seems to present equal measures of good, bad, and ugly:

1) good - the _() function, lightning fast translation
2) bad - restart Apache every time .mo files are updated
3) ugly - the GNU documentation recommends emacs for translating...

Are there better ways to localize the strings in your scripts? I'm not
concerned with content here, just interface -- errors, prompts,
labels, etc.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/