[nycphp-talk] art maps

tom keating tom at tomkeatingphotography.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 13:05:24 EDT 2005

Hello all,

we are a funded arts organisation. im not 100% sure if i'm posting to
the right list.
i have been trying to adapt php gallery scripts to fit my needs and have
realized i dont really know what im doing!

_brief introduction to 'us'_

Walkingtheland is a long-term initiative led by three Stroud based
artists, landscape enthusiasts and educators.
our work has two threads:
1. to develop and produce our own work in response to walking through
the landscape as a group.
2. the artists show this work as a catalyst for working with local
people, artists and others with a keen interest in the landscape.
Participants are supported in developing their own work in response to
the walks and this work is then curated on a web-based /e/Gallery. Over
time this will develop into an archive of responses to local landscape.

we have arts funding to develop the second thread

_what we need.
_
a dynamic and efficient way of storing and displaying images (and
eventually movie and sound)

we are currently using iframes (created by photoshop and simplifying the
html a little) but its obviously becomes a bit longwinded the more
images we have the more pages
http://www.walkingtheland.org.uk/walkingthelandgallery/ (and click on
the names on the right to see the gallerys)

at the moment we badly need to start storing images and displaying them
well. but we have a vision to develop the way the images are displayed
in the future.
we want to create 'online' maps of images sounds movies and journeys
incorporating GIS.

_any ideas?_

if anyone has any ideas or can offer any help it would be greatly apreciated

if i hear from anyone then i can be far more specific

regards tom