[nycphp-talk] database performance

Roland Cozzolino rcozzol at optonline.net
Fri Oct 28 00:44:44 EDT 2005

That is a very valid point, ...however (there has to be some sort of
argument) ... if you have a table with N-million rows, chances are your
DB design isn't very good.  No hierarchical algorithm will perform well
under conditions like that.  Nested sets will at least give you great
retrieval times and tons of flexibility with the hierarchy nodes,
whereas adjacency lists are very stringent and slow and will still end
up giving you 3 bazillion rows.  Furthermore, if you are in fact dealing
with that many rows, go buy Oracle or use PostGres (which can also
partition across tablespaces and allow for OO design).  In my opinion,
MySQL just falls short when you get into real complicated database
design (I am ducking under my desk right now, fearing the MySQL fan-base
may come over my house and shoot me).