[nycphp-talk] Variables syntax

Aaron Fischer agfische at email.smith.edu
Fri Oct 28 16:10:15 EDT 2005

Greetings listers,

A basic question I'm sure...  (I have checked PHundamentals and did some
googling and manual searching and book skimming but haven't come up with
the answers I'm looking for.)

I have currently been setting variable like so:
Version A:
$print_first_name = "You said your first name is
{$_SESSION['first_name']}.";

At one time I think I had something like:
Version B:
$print_first_name = "You said your first_name is $_SESSION[first_name].";

This would yield the same result on my server, but I think version B is
incorrect and version A is correct.  I am thinking that Version B is
incorrect as it is missing the single quotes around the var name, even
though it does render OK on my server, perhaps it would not in another
environment?

Then I also had something like:
Version C:
$print_first_name = "You said your first_name is " .
$_SESSION['first_name'] . ".";

Now I think Version C is technically correct, and the decision to use A
or C is based on personal preference.

Basically I'd like to establish a standard for myself and want to make
sure I'm understanding the usage and scenario's which can arise.

Is there a better alternative method?

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

-Aaron