[nycphp-talk] getting my head around heirarchical structures

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Sun Oct 30 10:18:39 EST 2005

> Kenneth Downs wrote:
>>> One suggestion I would make is that each filter be given a name instead
>>> of
>>> an ID, and possibly let the user choose the name.  Then the filters
>>> behave
>>> like functions.  This makes nesting more intuitive.  So I can put two
>>> filters into your table:
>
> This is not such a bad idea, but it requires me (or whatever admin) to
> create the filters ahead of time and offer them to the user.  Hopefully
> I can come up with a structure that allows for recording whatever
> filters the user can come up with based on the existing columns in the
> flat data view.

Not at all.  You can provide pre-defined filters if you like, or fall back
to system-generated pseudo-names when the user is just typing in criteria.

To validate the criteria, you need a data dictionary.  To make the
validation completely simple, you need to specify the criteria entirely in
atomic values, and not allow parsable expressions.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software
ken at secdat.com