[nycphp-talk] getting my head around heirarchical structures

Allen Shaw ashaw at polymerdb.org
Mon Oct 31 11:20:11 EST 2005

Kenneth Downs wrote:

>>This is not such a bad idea, but it requires me (or whatever admin) to
>>create the filters ahead of time and offer them to the user.  ...
>

> Not at all.  You can provide pre-defined filters if you like, or fall back
> to system-generated pseudo-names when the user is just typing in criteria.
>
> To validate the criteria, you need a data dictionary.  To make the
> validation completely simple, you need to specify the criteria entirely in
> atomic values, and not allow parsable expressions.

Just as a follow-up: I think this discussion and the few days it's taken
to transpire have led me to believe that, on the original question of
data structure for nested filter criteria, my basic idea in the
beginning was right: this is clearly a heirarchical relationship. But
after digging more on the nested set model (reference recent thread
"database performance"), I think I should be using that model rather
than trying to tie records back to their parent nodes with a "parentID"
column.  Thanks to Ken and others for ideas on the interface and
management of those filters.

- Allen

--
Allen Shaw