[nycphp-talk] Code cleanliness vs. code popularity

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sun Sep 18 16:42:16 EDT 2005

Greg Rundlett wrote:
> In my experience, fudforum <http://fudforum.org> is a better forum
> software than phpBB, and the main author is a PEAR member who has many
> code contributions to open source beyond fudforum.

He's more than a PEAR contributor. Ilia is a primary contributor to PHP
itself, and he has even served as release manager (for 4.3, I think).

FUDforum is faster, more reliable, and more secure than phpBB, but it
has a poor interface (in my opinion). I think there is currently a big
push to improve this aspect.

> That seems fine, however one major concern that I have is that there
> is binary content in the installer. I posed a question on the site to
> find out what it is, and how they could license it under the GPL if
> the installer itself is part binary.

It sounds like you misunderstand the GPL.

> Until that is clarified, I guess I would suggest NOT using it.

In that case, you might want to stop using PHP. You can get binary
distributions of it.

(Binary is not a bad word.)

Chris

--