[nycphp-talk] strategy question: point accrual system and bots

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Fri Sep 30 17:23:32 EDT 2005

Hi there.

I'm asking a sort of general question here about how to design an
application I'm making.  Basically, actions on a Web site will result
in members accruing points (the actions vary, but almost always cause
a form to be submitted, some action to be performed on the back end,
and then points to be allocated to the user).

I'm interested in people's strategies for preventing scripts or bots
from continually submitting actions and accruing points for someone.
In some cases, there are special things I can look for that will be
the components of these actions, but I'm looking also for some kind
of general strategy (special hash keys based on some random factor,
etc. and so on).

I have a few ideas, but other people probably have better ones...the
simpler and more straightforward the better.

Cheers,

--
Marc Antony Vose
http://www.suzerain.com/

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
-- Bruce Ediger