[nycphp-talk] strategy question: point accrual system and bots

Billy Reisinger mail at billyreisinger.com
Fri Sep 30 18:03:01 EDT 2005

Hey Marc -
I think that the simplicity of the solution is directly proportional
to the importance of
preventing people from "submit fraud." If it is really important
(i.e. there is money involved),
the complexity of your solution will necessarily have to be greater;
however, if you are
not going to lose money or a limb if someone "illegally" accrues
points, then perhaps
a simple combination of tracking session ID's and IP addresses would
work.   I wouldn't rely
on any one method alone, though.  It seems that tracking user or bot
activity on the web is best accomplished through
a combination of strategies.   For example, you definitely can't rely
on the accuracy of IP addresses, or that
one user == one IP address.  On the other hand, using an IP address
in combination with, say, the user's session id, some cookie
data, or some information in the http header (like browser or
operating system) might be an effective way of tracking a single user.

If you are dealing with a system where people have to provide a
username/password to submit anything, your chances of identifying
your users just got a ton better!

Also, you can be sure something funky is going on if someone
continually submits a form many times in a small
amount of time.  It might be good to put a threshold there,
preventing people from re-submitting for, say, 60 seconds or something.

Cheers,
Billy