[nycphp-talk] Whats a Competitive Salary for PHP Dev

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Fri Apr 14 17:28:18 EDT 2006

>Show me a great web site, a thoughtful blog, a wicked cool -- as we
>say in Boston -- feature, and I think, "wow, this person is good,
>this person is passionate about what he/she does.

I know what you mean. But, a web site may not be a good indicator of
the persons abilities.

For example, besides this list (and others) I also attend the
css-discuss list, where they have css experts who have web sites that
don't validate while they preach compliance.

When confronted with "If you care about compliance issues, then why
doesn't your site validate?" They respond with "Compliance is a goal
and not a requirement" -- whatever that means. Like the Old Indian in
Outlaw Josey Wales -- the politicians kept telling him "We admire
your persistence in your commitment to persevere" -- I don't
understand what the hell they're telling me.

In any event, I think that web sites are not a good tool for
measuring ability -- even with those proficient in css. It probably
best to look at their work product.

As for me, my site is not great, but it's not bad, it validates,
meets disability issues, and has a good ranking -- so, I think it
works in the ways I think are important. But as far as sending any
business my way as as result of "wow, this person is good", nah --
that hasn't happened.

tedd