[nycphp-talk] Still Selling the PHP5 Upgrade

Tim McEwen tim at tmcode.com
Wed Apr 26 20:00:24 EDT 2006

Off the top of my head:

1) Exceptions (i know you already mentioned oop but i think
exceptions are worth their own bullet)
2) file_put_contents (and all the other built in functions available
only 5+  (userland alts are slower)
3) Speed (all of the big and little tweaks to memory handling pay
off,  especially with OOP)
4) Reflection API  (as a lazy documenter,  i have a soft spot for the
reflection api)
5) PDO  (parameter binding, easy,  parameter binding, easy)
6) Iterators (once again, oop but worth its own mention)
6) SPL (DirectoryIterator is so much more fun than opendir....)
7) Upgrading to php5 will give you practice for upgrading to php6.  :)

Probably taking some major php5 feature for granted but its been a
while since I've had to work with php4 so my memory is a little dusty.

Good luck with the sell....

-Tim