[nycphp-talk] [OT] - NYC Salaries

LeeEyerman at aol.com LeeEyerman at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 13:02:34 EDT 2006

I grew up (33 years) one mile from the George Washington Bridge and worked
in downtown Manhattan for over 10 years.  65k-80k is VERY difficult to  support
a family on in any area of NYC.  Especially if you ever hope to  actually buy
a house.  (average studio condo in queens is close to  $200k - 400-600 sq.
ft. max - 3 bedroom condo/house - furgetaboutit!)  If you spend every last penny
on rent and surviving... how will you ever  afford to save for a down
payment?  And in the NYC area 10-20% is a  requirement, not an option to buy a house.
 Unless your wife was working  full-time too, I would VERY carefully
reconsider that move.

Check out Fortune/Money upcoming cities, and do research.  There are  plenty
of cities that desperately need good PHP programmers and don't have the  high
cost of living....  I left NYC in December of 2005 for the north west,  found
TONS of work, and a much better life, and a 4 bedroom 2 bath house on .5  acre
for $150k - great schools, great city, etc.

I'd think, think, think about it.

Lee

In a message dated 8/3/2006 10:55:23 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
dmintz at davidmintz.org writes:

On Thu,  3 Aug 2006, Joseph Crawford wrote:

> i am wondering if this is  enough to support a family on.

I live in Jersey City and support a wife  and a toddler. My guess is, yes,
it's probably possible -- people do it, I  believe -- but it's going to be
pretty close to the  ground.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

Amendment  IV

The right of the people to be secure in their
persons, houses,  papers, and effects, against
unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not  be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon
probable cause,  supported by Oath or affirmation,
and particularly describing the place to  be
searched, and the persons or things to be  seized.

NYPHPCon 2006  Presentations Online
http://www.nyphpcon.com

Show Your Participation  in New York  PHP