[nycphp-talk] [OT] - NYC Salaries

Nicholas Tang ntang at communityconnect.com
Thu Aug 3 15:17:06 EDT 2006

I'll second all of that.  I spent half my childhood in the city and half
in the suburbs and grew to hate the suburbs.  I still do.  I moved
myself - and my kids - into the city as soon as I could, and I haven't
regretted it for a second.  We're 2 blocks from a park, walking distance
from a museum, a zoo, a lake... (we're in Brooklyn) plus a simple subway
ride away from everything else the city has to offer.  I love it here,
and they love being here.  Having said that, the suburbs do tend to be
cheaper.

When I first started out I had a family of 3 and managed to support us
on $40k - we lived in NJ, rent was cheap, and the commute was long.  It
was doable, if painfully threadbare at times.  $65k is tight, but you
can do it.  I'd recommend more for a family of 5 - a few people have
said $80k and I'd concur - but it's definitely doable.  It may not be
entirely comfortable.

Nicholas